FAIR PLAY CODE FOR ATHLETES
1. I will participate because I want to, not just because my parents or coaches want me to.
2. I will play by the rules and in the spirit of the game.
3. I will control my temper- fighting and verbal abuse can spoil the activity for everyone.
4. I will respect my opponents, officials, and coaches.
5. I will do my best to be a true team player.
6. I will remember that winning isn’t everything - that having fun, improving skills, making friends and doing my best are also important.
7. I will acknowledge all good players and performances, regardless of whether it is my team or my opponent’s team.
8. I will remember that coaches and officials are there to help me. I will accept their decisions and show them respect.
FAIR PLAY CODE FOR PARENTS
1. I will not force my child to participate in sports.
2. I will remember that my child plays sports for his or her enjoyment, not for mine.
3. I will encourage my child to play by the rules and to resolve conflicts without resorting to hostility or violence.
4. I will teach my child that doing one’s best is as important as winning so that my child will never feel defeated by the outcome of a game.
5. I will make my child feel like a winner every time by offering praise for competing fairly and trying hard.
6. I will never ridicule or yell at my child for making a mistake or losing a competition.
7. I will remember that children learn best by example. I will applaud good plays by both my child’s team and their opponents.
8. I will never question the official’s judgment or honesty in public.
9. I will teach my child that an official's judgment is never to be questioned during a game, and to treat them with respect at all times.
9. I will support all efforts to remove verbal and physical abuse from children’s sporting activities.
10. I will respect and show appreciation for the volunteer coaches who give their time to provide sport activities for my child.
FAIR PLAY CODE FOR COACHES
1. I will be reasonable when scheduling games and practices remembering that young athletes have other interests and obligations.
2. I will teach my athletes to play fairly and to respect the rules, officials, and opponents.
3. I will ensure that all athletes get equitable instruction and support.
4. I will not ridicule or yell at my athletes for making mistakes or for performing poorly. I will remember that children play to have fun and must be encouraged to have confidence in themselves.
5. I will make sure that equipment and facilities are safe and match the athletes’ ages and abilities.
6. I will remember that children need a coach they can respect. I will be generous with praise and set a good example.
7. I will obtain proper training and continue to upgrade my coaching skills.